Citation with stable link: Philip A. Harland, 'Scholarly articles on ethnic relations and migration,' Ethnic Relations and Migration in the Ancient World, last modified July 4, 2023, https://philipharland.com/Blog/?p=6853.
Ethnography and Gender:
- Maia Kotrosits, “The Ethnography of Gender: Reconsidering Gender as an Object of Study,” Studies in Late Antiquity 7 (2023): 5–28 (local pdf; Journal page).
Diasporas and migration:
- “Other Diasporas [Syrians and Phoenicians]: Immigrants, Ethnic Identities, and Acculturation” (2009) (link)
- “Pontic Diasporas in the Classical and Hellenistic Eras” (2020) (link)
- “Interaction and Integration: Judean Families and Guilds at Hierapolis” (2009) (link)
- “Honours by Judeans for Tation Daughter of Straton” (2014) (link)
- “Honours by a Synagogue for Julia Severa and Others” (2014) (link)
- “Dedication to Roma by Roman Businessmen” (2014) (link)
Ethnic diversity and oral legends in Egypt:
- “‘Syrians call you Astarte . . . Lycian peoples call you Leto’: Ethnic Relations and Circulating Legends in the Villages of Egypt” (2021) (link)
Non-dominant (“barbarian”) perspectives:
- “‘Subject Peoples and Civilizational Priority: Competition among Babylonians, Egyptians, and Judeans in the Hellenistic Era” (2023, preprint) (link)
- “Journeys in Pursuit of Divine Wisdom: Thessalos and Other Seekers” (2011) (link)
Ethnic hierarchies and stereotypes